South Carolina Genealogy Web  |  South Carolina Genealogy Directory  |  Free South Carolina Genealogy Newsletter

South Carolina Genealogy Forum » Statewide Genealogy Queries

Odum family - Greenville County/Spartanburg County early 1800s

(1 post)
  • Started 10 years ago by admin

1. I'm posting a fairly generic query for information on the Odum family in the 1820s-1850s in the upstate. (Primarily Greenville County and Spartanburg County.) Matilda Susannah Odum was born January 14, 1826 in possibly the upstate of SC. I suspect her father may have been Sheradin Odum. She married Berry Bowen in January 30, 1841 in Rutherford County, NC. She is listed as 26 years old in 1850.

The family story was that Susannah had run away from home in South Carolina to North Carolina, Berry had run away from family in Virginia to NC. From research it appears that parts of Berry's family had come to NC already. I've looked at various Odum families in the upstate counties of Greenville and Spartanburg but have failed to find a real solid match.

The name Sheridan Odum has been found in the Rutherford County Census and I suspect it could be a relation.

Susannah Odum was born in Cowpens according to one source, who, I believe, heard it passed down through the family.

The William Odum Family of Spartanburg has been of particular interest given the possible link to Cowpens, SC. Thus far I've only been able to locate this William Odum in one Census year in Spartanburg (1820).

Would anyone else have any information or possible leads with this family?

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic  

You must log in to post.